Thursday, September 3, 2009

Alumni Assumes Academic Advisor Role

This post was written and submitted by Rob Pritchard, Spruce Kings Alumni from 2004-2005.

As the Spruce Kings are gearing up for the 2009/10 season I am glad to say that I am once again back with the team. Although it has been 5 years since I played my last game in the Coliseum, I will be helping the players out as an academic adviser, working to help players with the Spruce Kings land college scholarships.

After leaving the BCHL in 2005, I went on to play four years at Dartmouth College in the Ivy League and NCAA before hanging up the skates to work in Washington, DC. Despite the time difference, I will be staying in touch with the players as they start talking to schools and taking steps to further both their hockey and academic careers.

My decision to come back and volunteer with the Spruce Kings came after I left the game to begin working full time. Although my playing days are now behind me I began to realize that almost every aspect of my life has benefitted from hockey and I would like to pay the favour forwards.

The Spruce Kings are a team that needs no help in furthering players' careers. Since I received my scholarship and graduated from the team, Prince George has moved dozens of players on to the NCAA, the CIS, and various professional leagues in addition to hosting a Royal Bank Cup. For my part, I would just like to see if I can put some of my personal experience to use in order to help the players reach their full potential.

Here's to a successful 09/10 season.

No comments: