Thursday, January 21, 2016

Rivermen Find Revenge in the Castle


                      4                                    Final Score 2OT                                    5
Tilsley, Ponak, Logan, Hovde
Goal Scorers
Kaufman, Crookshank, Capstick, O’Neill, White
Total Shots
1st Period Shots
2nd Period Shots
3rd Period Shots
1st OT
2nd OT
0 for 2
Power Play
1 for 5
Adam Brunett
3rd Star

Jarod Hovde
2nd Star

1st Star
Justin Fregona

Current Record

            The Spruce Kings entered the weekend having lost all four prior games to the Langley Rivermen. They were outscored 21-3 in that time, including the most recent setback coming as a 7-1 loss in the second game back after the Christmas break. The last time the Rivermen came to Prince George, it was a 3-2 loss in last year’s playoffs, where Prince George won Game 6 to move onto the 2nd round.

            In the three games he had played versus PG, Bo Didur had just two goals heading in on for the game on Thursday night. Prince George finally managed to beat the West Van native four times, although none of the goals were quite highlight reels. Two were head turners though, as PG scored twice in the first period by taking shots off the back boards that deflected, then bounced off Didur’s left heel and in.

Langley would leave the period though leading by one, as they got goals from Kaufman just 1:20 in, a goal from Angus Crookshank in his first ever BCHL shift, and a power play goal for Alec Capstick that beat Liam McCloskey on the power play for his first of the season.

The first three goals for the Langley Rivermen came in the first 10 minutes on six shots, so the Spruce Kings put Joseph McLeod in following the first BCHL ten minute timeout. The Kelowna native was strong in his second game coming on as a reliever vs the Rivermen, stopping 24 of 26 shots

In the second, it was Prince George taking control, as Connor Logan scored just 1:34 in on a wrap around for his fourth goal of the season tying the game at three. Langley would respond quickly though, as Jason O’Neill walked down the left side following a turnover, and roofed the puck top left corner to retake the Langley lead.

Turning Point: With under minutes left in the game, McLeod made a breakaway save that would keep his side within a goal.

            Despite outshooting Langley 14-3 in the third, PG couldn’t beat Didur, and the game would head to overtime. The Spruce Kings again outshot Langley 6-2 in the first period of overtime, but neither team could score while 4-on-4. In the second frame while 3-on-3, Torrin White took a feed from Justin Fregona, and walked down on the breakaway to beat McLeod and take the 5-4 win.

No comments: