Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Where is Gallo?

That's a legitimate question given that Ron Gallo (me) has been given the unofficial title of the voice of the Spruce Kings. Unfortunately that voice has barely been a whisper over the last couple of months. There have been the occasional tweets and Facebook posts, but the blog has been disappointingly quiet during this time. The good news is that is about to change with the introduction of a new voice for the Spruce Kings.

Very quickly, I just want to answer the original question as to where I have been. As the season came to an end, like most people my attention turned away from the arena and to other areas of interest. I was calling games in the Prince George Senior Lacrosse League but something else came up that has taken over a large percentage of the time I used to dedicate to the Spruce Kings. I am working with the Prince George Hospice Society as their Dream Home Lottery Coordinator and have the Spruce Kings to thank for that.

As many people in Prince George and around the Province of BC know, the Spruce Kings have long raised funds for their club through the sale of lottery tickets on their annual Show Home Lottery. The experience gained from this venture 29 years in the making has made the Spruce Kings a valuable asset to the Provincial Governments Gaming Enforcement and Policy Branch and many other lotteries around the province.

The Prince George Hospice Society is one entity that approached the Spruce Kings asking questions about a Dream Home Lottery they were planning. The long and short of that is the Spruce Kings were able to answer general questions and provide feedback and suggestions for the Hospice Society to help them get their lottery off the ground. An undertaking of a lottery of this magnitude is no small matter and it became apparent that the Hospice Society could use more of a full time help in the form of a person.

Yup, that person became me and now I can joke that my wish of being listed as a future consideration in a trade has come true. I have taken on the role of Dream Home Lottery Coordinator for the Hospice Society and in a very short time have gained a whole new level of appreciation for everything that Jim Young has done as the Show Home Lottery Manager for the Spruce Kings. But aside from that, I quickly learned that I simply wouldn't have the time or energy to put back in to the Spruce Kings as I have over the past few seasons so I had to make the tough decision of finding a replacement or at very least an assistant for me and the different things I try to do to help out the Prince George Spruce Kings.

At this time I would like to introduce to you Matt Anthony, I'll leave the particulars for him to present to you in his first blog that will be posted here on the Spruce Kings Crusader. Matt will be coming on board with the Spruce Kings to provide his insight with blog posts, tweets on the official Spruce Kings twitter feed (@SpruceKings) and also status updates on the Spruce Kings Facebook page. Matt will also become the broadcast voice of the Spruce Kings home webcasts and pay-per-view feed on the BCHL website.

I am excited to have a person with the energy and enthusiasm to contribute that Matt has already shown in his brief period in our community. Last season Matt was the broadcast voice of the Nelson Leafs of the Kootenay International Junior Hockey League and will no doubt be looking forward to applying his experience to the Junior A level in the BCHL. Matt has a ton of potential and will quickly become a recognizable person with the Spruce Kings. Please make him feel welcome and continue to show your support of the Spruce Kings with emails, comments and feedback whenever you see us around the rink.

No comments: